Friday, January 9, 2009

Bubble Tea

Asia is the home of many amazing things. Bubble tea is one of my favorites- it's happiness in a cup. Whenever I happen to be in Chinatown or in a store that sells it, I usually give into temptation and buy myself a cup. Today, my best friend and I had lunch at a Chinese buffet, and then ended up in an Asian grocery store. Their bubble tea was particularly good, and wasn't badly priced at all, which was a plus.

Part of it no doubt has to do with my love of tea in general, but no doubt the available flavors and tapioca no doubt play a huge part in my love of this stuff. I am mildly addicted to lychee (which will get its own entry later on, no doubt), and so having a lychee flavored drink makes me happy. I'm also particularly fond of mango. The non-fruit varieties are also delicious. I've had just plain tea with tapioca before, and loved it. I have also been really tempted by flavors such as almond in the past since I love nutty flavors. I've never gotten it before, but maybe one day I will.

The tapioca is what makes this drink really fun. It's not that it's really all that tasty- it doesn't have much going for it in that department. But it kind of reminds me of licorice, and it's fun to chew while drinking the tea.

At the grocery store I visited today, I realized that I could make the tea on my own. They have packets of "Boba tea", which, according to Wikipedia, is another name for Bubble Tea, and they sell tapioca as well. One day, I'm going to try to make it.

No comments: