Monday, February 9, 2009

Cherries

(Long time no post: blame a home that fails to inspire, and how busy school can make me once it starts)

I have a massive sweet tooth, which, among other things, means I love fruits. It's always better to eat a handful of strawberries than to eat a bar of chocolate, anyway. So, I try to keep at least some fruit in my fridge at all times.

Yesterday, I was grocery shopping and saw that they were selling cherries for $3.99/lb. Expensive, but I've seen worse. I couldn't resist buying some. At the moment, the bag is more than half gone, but since I read somewhere that they only hold for a few days, and because my fridge has a bad habit of freezing things at random, I suppose it's a good thing. I don't even mind the pit, quite honestly.

I just love the way they taste, you know? Sweet yet mildly sour, yet never too overpowering. It also brings me back to my childhood. For a few years, I lived with my Babcia in Poland, and she had a garden behind her house. I remember, with a good deal of certainty (I was maybe 4, so memories can get a little shaky at times), that there was a cherry tree there. She also grew cucumbers for pickles, and had strawberries and peas and flowers. It was a really lovely place. I think one day I want to have a garden like that: fruits and flowers, and a cherry tree.

No comments: